Tuesday 3 May 2011

Scroggs Wood


I managed to get out fishing today for a couple of hours this morning. I headed for an area of the river just through Scroggs Wood. This area had been recommended by my local tackle shop, as there had been reports of small brownies and small sea trout being caught. I got tackled up and donned the waders as there are a lot of branches close to the edge. I put a small spider on the dropper and a GRHE on the point to help get the fly down as there was not much fly life or any sign of fish moving. I fished up the south bank for about ½ mile and then made my way back down. Never managed to even raise a trout in the couple of hours I was there.
This evening after tea I went back out to the same area but on the north bank this time. There was a little breeze which when casting was coming from behind and this put a ripple on the water. There were huge hatches of small upwinged Olives and midges. The trout were rising freely and also the occasional leap from the more energetic. I fished this bank for about a 1 ½ hours with no success. I will be returning to this area as there is definitely plenty of fish. I just need to find the right fly to fool them.

No comments:

Post a Comment