Wednesday 4 May 2011

1st of the Season



I went down to the river on the north shore at Scroggs wood today (4th). I walked to the river from the car park it takes about 5 minutes. I walked along the edge observing the water and looking for likely spots where the trout might be hiding. While walking I noticed that there was quite a few rises but I could not see any fly life. I assumed they were feeding on emergers as they were reaching the surface. I set up the rod with a small caddis emerger of my own design. First cast and there was interest from the trout. I continued walking up river having a couple of casts every couple of steps. There was plenty of interest from the fish. After about ½ hour I was into my first fish. I estimate this to be about 1 ½ pound as I never saw it before if got off to fight another day. I continued and within minutes I had hooked and landed my first brownie of the season. This was about 1lb in weight. After photographing this was safely returned to whence it came. I kept fishing, casting every couple of steps and was soon into more fish. This time they were salmon parr, about 5inches in length and weighing no more than 3 or 4 ounces. Unfortunately it was now time to pack up and collect my daughter from her after school science club.

No comments:

Post a Comment