Sunday 7 February 2010

Mike Harding (North Country Fly Fisher)


I attended the British Fly Fair (BFFI) back in November last year. Mike Harding was launching his new book “North Country Flies” and would be signing his book. Mike is a very approachable bloke and recommended a fly, which he had much success with while he was on Lewis last year. The fly recommended was the Grouse & Claret Nymph.
This is a great book, describing many of the spider patterns that are so successful on the Northern English Spate Rivers and also some of the Scottish rivers. A full colour picture of each fly and the dressing is included. It's spiral binding makes it easy to open and place by your tying bench without damaging the pages.
In my opinion having read this I think it is an Essential reference book for anyone wanting to tie or know more about North Country Spiders.

4 comments:

  1. Must agree with you there. An excellent resource of North Country flee dressing and history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are other books but I think this is just about the definitive work for the Fly Tyer.
    Mike is a really nice bloke as I have said. He uses the same tackle shop as me in Kendal, when he is over here fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree with both of you gents. I acquired Mr. Harding's book a few weeks ago and am very impressed - unlike the other books in this series.
    Anyway, here is another book you would be interested in I'm sure, it's Allen McGee's Tying and Fishing Soft-Hackled Nymphs. There are no traditional spiders in this book, but there is a wealth of tying information that I think you would find interesting.
    Best regards,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jim
    Ihave never seen the book but will track down a copy and give it a read.

    ReplyDelete