Wednesday 17 August 2011

Sandside Sea Fishing



I am still on holiday, so I managed to get a whole day with my son. This morning we went for a bike ride along the cycle path to Asda and back. I still need the exercise to get fit and lose weight.
This afternoon we decided that we would go and do a bit of sea-fishing. On checking the tide table we noticed that high tide would be at 3.11pm, so decided that we would need to be there at 2.pm to get the best of the incoming tide and stay till about 4.30pm to get the best of the outgoing tide.
We set off about 1.30 and went to Carlsons tackle shop to get some lugworm (frozen). By the time we got to Sandside the lug had defrosted enough to thread onto the baiting needle and then on to the hooks. The setup was a 2 hook flapper rig with gripper lead. I had on my cheap sea reel and on the first cast the line went out well enough but the remaining line on the reel got snarled up. I tried to untangle the mess but to no avail. There was enough line out that was usable in the meantime. After waiting about 20minutes there was a small tell-tale sign of the rod tip flexing. I reeled in and to my sons joy there was the first fish of the day on the top hook. This was a small Dab of about ½ lb. I continued to use the sea reel but the line kept getting shorter and more tangled. There was a guy fishing close by who had a spare reel that he offered to me to use for the rest of the session, which I gratefully accepted. I continued to cast and wait, when the guy next to me had a fish on this was a Dab of about ¾ lb. I reeled in and reloaded the hooks with fresh lugworm. The tide was now going out and at about 4pm I reeled in not expecting anything as I could not distinguish between bite and wind movement. As I reeled in the weight on the line felt more than normal even when I had caught the earlier fish this was totally different. The area has a very sandy bed and I thought I had got my weight caught on some of the seaweed that was around. Much to me and my sons astonishment we had hooked and eventually landed the biggest fish of the day as beautiful Dab of about 1 ½ lb. We packed up shortly after this and thanked the guy for the loan of his reel.
An excellent day out in the fresh sea air.

No comments:

Post a Comment