Friday 8 April 2011

Alcock Tarn 8/4/11



I went for a walk up to Alcock Tarn today (Not Fishing) to scope out the potential for fishing for Brown Trout and for putting the info in to the guide that I am writing for the hotel where I work. I parked the car near Dove Cottage, which was the Home of William Wordsworth. The walk to the Tarn is about 1 ½ miles. It starts quite gently on stone covered track. This soon gives way to stony/rocky path which is step in parts. I found out today just how unfit I am. I was getting out of breath and sweating quite a bit by the time I stopped for a breather and drink, also a picture of Grasmere Lake. The path continues to climb steeply over rocky terrain until you reach a bend and then more gentle as you walk towards the Tarn.
On reaching the tarn I decided to have a seat on the grass to recover after the effort to reach the tarn. As I sat there looking at the Tarn the Trout were rising freely to the hatch of fly life. In the summer this is not as crowded as some of the more well-known lakes and tarns and is very much suitable for fly fishing as you will be able to see anyone approaching which will give you plenty of time to ensure you are not casting as they reach you. The fact that the fishing is free makes it all the more worthwhile taking the time and effort to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment